Low pupil enrolment numbers led to Bristol City Council combining Sea Mills Infant and Junior Schools onto a single site. DKA were appointed to develop a scheme for a 210 place primary school and 30 place nursery on the vacated Junior School site. A strong local conservation group encouraged the retention of the core of two 1920’s school building into the final scheme.
One existing Edwardian building was mothballed for future development, while the second was partially demolished and refurbished, providing a brand new 210 place school, with nursery, Special Educational Needs facilities and associated external spaces.
Existing undersized classrooms were enlarged by extending the rooms into the existing corridor, while new generous circulation and supporting accommodation was provided in a timber framed extension.